Several sailors suffered minor injuries after a US Navy submarine collided with an unidentified object last weekend in the South China Sea, multiple reports indicated on Thursday.
The US Pacific Fleet said in a statement that the fast-attack sub USS Connecticut struck the object while submerged on the afternoon of October 2. The statement said there were “no life-threatening injuries” and that the sub was “in a safe and stable condition.” “
“USS Connecticut’s nuclear propulsion plant and location were not affected and remain fully operational. Damage to the remaining submarine is being assessed,” the statement concluded. “The US Navy has not requested assistance. Will be investigated.”
The Pacific Fleet did not specify the location of USS Connecticut when the incident occurred, saying the vessel was “operating in international waters in the Indo-Pacific.” However, the Associated Press and USNI News reported that the collision occurred in the South China Sea while SAB was conducting routine operations.
Both outlets reported that the sub was headed to the port in Guam and that the incident had not been announced earlier in order to maintain operational safety.
The Associated Press, citing two Navy officials, reported that two sailors aboard the USS Connecticut suffered minor injuries and about nine others suffered minor injuries such as bruises and bruises. Everyone was treated in the submarine.
It is not clear what object the ship collided with, but the AP reported that investigators had ruled out another submarine. An official suggested to the outlet that it could be a sunken vessel, a sunken container or other unidentified object.
The collision is not the first unfortunate incident to fall on the USS Connecticut. Earlier this year, sub-board crew members complained about a month-long bed bug infestation and alleged that the commanders had delayed fixing the problem. A Navy spokesman denied that any bedbugs were found in the submarine before February this year.
post with wires