Upstate NY woman allegedly starved her boyfriend’s son: DA

Prosecutors said a New York woman was arrested after she locked her boyfriend’s 7-year-old son in a room and starved him to death.

The Orange County District Attorney’s Office said Friday that 39-year-old Leticia Bravo of Newburgh is charged with second-degree murder in connection with the starvation death of Peter Cuacuas, the son of her boyfriend Arturo Cuacuas.

Prosecutors allege that Bravo had a boy at his apartment every day except Saturday, when Bravo and Peter would be living with their father.

Prosecutors said she allegedly locked Peter in the bedroom “behind closed doors from outside”.

Prosecutors said that while in her care in January, she stopped logging in online for her virtual classes.

Bravo brought the boy’s body to St. Luke’s Hospital in Newburgh on February 10, where the boy was later pronounced dead.

An autopsy determined that he was 37 pounds at the time of his death and had died of malnutrition.

Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler.
Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler denounced Leticia Bravo, who denied 7-year-old Peter Cuacuas “the basic necessities of life.”
David M. Hoovler

“It is unimaginable that someone would accept the responsibility of caring for a child and then deprive that child of the basic necessities of life,” District Attorney David Hoovler said. “It’s really disturbing how this kid was kept hidden from the school authorities before he died.”

Prosecutors said Bravo was arrested Thursday on charges of first- and second-degree murder in addition to one count of murder.

Cuacuas, the boy’s father and Bravo’s boyfriend, was also charged last week with criminal negligent homicide.

.

Leave a Comment